Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Almond Shortbread


 I often wait for a party or large gathering so that I can make some tasty dessert. That way I get to try the recipe out but don’t have leftovers haunting me for days. It is a good thing that there always seems to be some kind of gathering coming up!
My friend from High school, Mina, sent me a recipe for Almond Shortbread which I have been hoping to try.  Today we had a baby shower and I got to bring these delightful treats. I changed the recipe a bit. I had some Almond Meal-ground almond flour- in my freezer so I substituted some for part of the flour in the recipe. I also added brown sugar and powdered sugar as well as a bit of cornstarch, which I like to use in shortbread. I added a bit more almond extract because I love the flavor.
These turned out great- wonderful flavor and moist, tender crumb with the delicate snap of sliced almonds. They were a big hit at the party and my family was very glad that I brought a few home for them. I will definitely make these again.  Shortbread is so easy to make! Just give yourself enough time because they are best if they have enough time to cool thoroughly before removing from the pan.

Throw yourself a little party and make these delicious shortbread cookies.  


Almond Shortbread

1  1/2 cups Butter, room temperature
½ cup white sugar, ½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup powdered sugar (optional)
2 cups Flour
1-2 Tablespoons corn starch, Optional
3/4  cup almond meal or almond flour—Or ground almonds*
3/4 cup Almonds, sliced and chopped
1 tsp. Almond Extract
1 cup or so sliced almonds, to top

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Place butter, sugars into bowl and beat with electric mixer until blended.
Add almond extract.
Add almond meal or ground almonds and flour and blend until incorporated together.
* If grinding almonds from whole or sliced almonds, put about 1/2 in blender and pulse, checking every few seconds until chopped fine. Remove and chop the other 1/2 of the almonds.
Press dough evenly into ungreased rectangular baking dish- about 13X 9
Press sliced almonds into top of dough
Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup almonds and press lightly into dough.
Bake approximately 28-33 minutes, until light golden brown.
Cool for 5 minutes then use sharp knife to cut shortbread into small squares, but leave in pan. Let cool completely and let shortbread set up for at least 3 hours in tightly covered pan. Remove from pan and store in airtight container.


Adapted from Recipe my friend Mina Azuma sent which she got from Sunset Cookie cookbook

6 comments:

  1. This looks, so, so good - I am addicted to almonds, and the consistency of the bread looks perfect. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand wanting to bake, but not wanting the temptation lingering in the house for days. I try to do my baking for events too. These shortbread cookies look terrific. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love almond and shortbread, separately. You combined both of my favorites here. It'll be extra dangerous around my house as I will keep biting every piece and before someone else notice the whole thing will be gone. =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so scrumptious. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete